Monday, June 22, 2015


Welcome to the newest segment here at 2HT.  A little something I call One From the Vaults.  Here, you'll find reviews of older horror films and unsung classics, most from my personal collection.  Being that Father's Day is this month, I wanted to review something that was within the realm of Dad related horror.  My first instinct was to review Creepshow, if only for the opening story and the wraparound segment starring the great Tom Atkins.  But as I was glancing at my collection of VHS tapes, I found an old favorite that I almost always forget sits on my shelf.....


1987's The Stepfather!   Loosely based on the story of John List, the New Jersey man who killed his family in 1971, and was on the run until 1989, two years after this film's release, when his story airing on America's Most Wanted resulted in his capture.

Directed by Joseph Ruben (The Pom Pom Girls) and starring Terry O'Quinn (TV's Lost) as Henry Morrison/Jerry Blake, a man who loves his family......to DEATH!  Jerry Blake is a quiet real estate agent recently married to Susan, a widow with one teenage daughter, Stephanie (Jill Schoelen).  But Jerry has a dark secret:  He was once Henry Morrison and was once married to Vicki, who was brutally murdered with her children by Morrison just one year before.

Jerry has been doing everything that he can to bond with Stephanie, even giving her a puppy and trying to help her cope with her dad leaving.  But she isn't breaking, determined that Jerry is hiding something.  All while this is taking place, Vicki's brother Jim is trying to track down "Henry" and get vengeance for the death of his sister.  Tensions run high when Stephanie's psychiatrist dies in a "car accident" and Stephanie starts corresponding with a newspaper reporter in Henry Morrison's town.  And Jim is getting closer.  Who will find out Jerry's secret first?  Or will Jerry have to find another "perfect" family?

While I love slasher films, I really enjoy smart slasher films.  A flick that is fun with some guess work and a body count is what makes me love this one so much.  The acting by O'Quinn is top drawer and really shows why he is still one of the best character actors working today.  Lest I forget Schoelen's performance as Stephanie.  I have always been a fan of her in all of her films, this one and Popcorn being my two favorites.

Even though this film has been imitated, sequelized and remade, the original still holds up.  I'm sure anyone reading this has seen the film, but if you haven't you owe it to yourself to check out this classic.

Do you have an older film you'd like me to review?  Send an email to chris@secondhandterror.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment